Frequently Asked Questions

How do I get a copy of my DD-214?

You can obtain a certified copy from your local County Recorder’s Office or the Commission Office, if you previously had it recorded. If not, to obtain a copy of your military record, please visit the website for Military Personnel Records Center (MPRC) in St. Louis,MO: This site gives instructions to submit a SF-180 Request Pertaining to Military Records either online or you may print out a copy of the form.

Questions about your military records may also be sent to:

National Personnel Records Center
Military Personnel Records Center
9700 Page Boulevard
St. Louis, MO 63132-5100

How/Where do I apply for health care?

To apply for VA health care benefits, you need to fill out an application (VA form 10-10EZ). Once your application for enrollment in VA health care is processed, VA’s Health Eligibility Center will send you a letter with information about your enrollment priority group assignment and instructions to contact the local VA health care facility for an appointment.

If it is determined you were not eligible to enroll, the letter will also give you instructions on how to appeal the decision if you do not agree with it.

How do I arrange for military funeral honors?

The Department of Defense (DOD) is responsible for providing military funeral honors. The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) National Cemetery Administration Cemetery staff can assist with military funeral honors at VA National Cemeteries.

The DOD program calls for the funeral home directors to request military funeral honors on behalf of the veterans’ family. Advance notice of approximately 48 hours is needed to arrange military funeral honors ceremonies to include folding and presenting the United States burial flag and the playing of taps. The law defines a military funeral honors detail as consisting of two or more uniformed military persons with at least one member of the veteran’s parent service of the Armed Forces. Veterans’ organizations may also assist in the provision of military funeral honors.

How can I locate someone who is currently serving on active duty in the Armed Forces?

We receive records of former military members only after they have been separated (discharged, released, retired, etc.) from the military service. Therefore, we are unable to provide locator service on members still serving on active duty. Each military service has an office which deals with the world-wide location of active service personnel. These offices are listed below:

The offices listed above MAY NOT be useful when trying to locate reserve or National Guard personnel. There is NO locator service for discharged personnel for any service of which we are aware.

Medal Information

Medals awarded while in active service will be issued by the appropriate service if requested by veterans or, if deceased, their next of kin.

Requests for medals from the Navy, Marine Corps and Coast Guard should be sent to the U.S. Navy Liaison Office, National Personnel Records Center, Room 3475, 9700 Page Blvd., St. Louis, MO 63132-5100. Requests for medals from the Army should be sent to U.S. Army Reserve Personnel Center, ATTN: ARPC-VSE, 9700 Pave Blvd., St. Louis, MO 63132-5100.

Requests for medals from the Air Force should be sent to the National Personnel Records Center (Military Personnel Records), 9700 Page Blvd., St. Louis, MO 63132-5100.

The veteran's full name should be printed or typed, so that it can be read clearly. The request must contain the signature of the veteran or the signature of the next of kin, if the veteran is deceased. Include the veteran's branch of service, service number or Social Security number and dates of service, or at least the approximate years. If available, include a copy of the discharge or separation document, DD-214. If possible, send the request on Standard Form 180, Request Pertaining to Military Records. These forms are generally available from VA offices or veterans organizations. More information is available at